Packed and ready to go

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 11: Denver, Co to Fort Collins, CO via Estes Park 177 miles

The Colorado portion of the adventure has begun!

Paul wasn't due in until early afternoon, so I spent the morning at the Denver Botanic Gardens. This was high on my priority list of gardens to visit. I was not disappointed. This particular garden incorporates both local and regional native plants as well as those that survive in Denver's unique and challenging environment. Very little rainfall (about 6 inches per year), altitude, temperature extremes and punishing winds means plants must be tough to survive. I was surprised at how many plants I am familiar with from my own garden are also suitable to Denver.

In addition to the wonderful gardens and displays of plants, there was also a special exhibit of the work of Henry Moore, a British sculptor who was inspired by the natural environment and derived pleasure from seeing his works in a landscape setting. There were 20 huge works spread throughout the gardens.




Paul and I had agreed to meet at the motorcycle rental place, Colorado Tourbikes. He was going to take a series of city buses from the airport to get there. I arrived early and was sure we weren't in the right place. I was in a neighborhood, just houses, surely no businesses. I called Paul to warn him, but he was just five minutes away on the bus, so got off where he planned. I rode one block over to meet him. It wasn't exactly the reunion I planned on, but I was still glad to see him! I called the company only to be told that their actual location is somewhere else (fortunately only a couple of miles away). I was able to ride over there and Paul set out to walk, carrying his luggage. I dispatched the rental owner's wife to retrieve Paul. Never did they communicate that we should go somewhere other than where we shipped Paul's gear. Oh well!

At least the motorcycle was available as promised and we got Paul geared up and packed up. He is renting a BMW R1200RT which is a little different from the R1200GS he owns.

We set off across Denver on city streets then onto US-6 to CO-119. CO-119 climbs and descends various mountains. Most of the time there is a slow moving car in front, but we occasionally got clear road and enjoyed it! At the town of Nederland, we took CO-72 to CO-7 which forms the eastern edge of Rocky Mountain National Park. We passed through Estes Park which is now more than just a crossword puzzle answer to me.



From Estes Park we took US-34 which descends down the eastern flank of the mountains into the valley at Loveland. From there it was a quick ride up I-25 to Fort Collins.






No comments:

Post a Comment